Job Type: Permanent
Job Industry: Business Services
Contact Name: Connor Casey
Job Location: Greater-manchester
Job Title: Principal Software Developer
Job Salary: £75000 - £80000 Per Annum
To be the owner of technology decisions in the development team ensuring that the engineering and solutions architecture is sufficiently engineered for the initiative, and that future options are not being restricted by current choices. Provide technology leadership, inspiration and motivation to the team by demonstrating by example. Assure the solution will deliver the functional and non-functional characteristics required. Be seen as technology leaders across the portfolio and set the direction and strategy for the products technology.
Technology decisions with impacts of several hundred thousand pounds
Head of Technology Delivery
Internal and External Relationships
Product Owners, Developers, Head of Technology Delivery, CTO, Solutions Architect. Lead Developer
Other Contextual Information / Special Features
Extensive experience of software engineering, continuous integration tools and techniques, delivery mechanics, multi variant and AB Testing are required. For
Principal Mobile Developer Roles require extensive experience of delivering mobile applications for phones and tablets in both Android and IOS, extensive experience of mobile specific technology for test driving development, automating testing, templating applications and continuous integration. Extensive knowledge of interacting with API’s and how to design and develop mobile centric API’s is required.
* Able to communicate a complicated problem succinctly accurately and coherently to a team with different skill sets.
* Able to negotiate and compromise solutions and find the balance between best practice, expediency and longer term maintenance costs
* Ensure that the initiative has a coherent Definition of Done and that your features are met
* Propose new technology, process or tooling to improve efficiency being aware of the future maintenance costs and consistency across other product teams
* Inspire enthusiasm for technology from your colleagues
* Demonstrate, discuss and permeate current good practice in the skills specific to your professional family across other members of your professional family
* You are able to strongly influence quality in your product team and across the department.
* You are able to communicate at various levels in the business, describing complex situations in a way that can be understood by non-technology stakeholders
* You are able to develop colleagues by collaborating and supporting rather than executing on their behalf
* Experience of refactoring in extremely complex software systems where much of the code is legacy
* Ability to deal with very high levels of uncertainty either in the technology or business domain
* Ability to incrementally define and build a solution in a way that doesn’t restrict future choices.
* You make realistic commitments that you are confident of meeting and strive to do so.
* Maintain and improve engineering practice
* Maintain and improve software quality for features built (TDD, Pairing, Peer Review, Static Analysis)
* Support the product owner and Development Lead in the provision of estimates that are at an appropriate level of fidelity for the phase in the development lifecycle
* Support the QA in identifying describing and resolving defects
* Support the BA in the elaboration of requirements
* Collaborate with the solutions architect to define and communicate the solutions architecture
* Implement the application architecture, adjusting based on feedback in collaboration with the application architect
* Be an authority for technology considerations for your product and the department. Have several technologies that you are able to consult on and provide consultancy to other product lines.
* Identify opportunities for improvement in development practice across the department, be proactive about implementing improvements
* You inspire, motivate and enthuse the development community
* Support other product teams when demand requires and the prioritisation pyramid supports
* You take responsibility for the entire lifecycle of delivery from idea to operation
* Manage your own training requirements
* Exhibit cross functional behavior and support other competencies within your team
* Attend industry events and share the value with your colleagues